Wednesday, August 26

Food Items


First, a slightly lesser known fruit I absolutely love that you should know about (if you don't already) is the Asian Pear. They have a high water content and a crisp, grainy texture that make them very refreshing. It is great on its own as a snack and would also be good sliced up in a salad. They are more expensive than an apple or a pear would be but it is worth it.

Second, a great snack that I am currently loving is the peanut butter banana roll up. You get a low carb tortilla, slap some natural peanut butter on it, sprinkle it with slivered alonds if you have them (I really like crunchy food), plop the banana on the tortilla, roll up and enjoy. Whats nice is it is mess free, you dont have to worry about discarding a banana peel if you are on the go and it is delicious. Good for a pre workout or mid morning snack because it contains carbs and protein.

Lastly, the fast food industry is at it again. KFC is trying out a new chicken sandwich in two test markets called the Double Down. Chicken sounds good for you right? Um not when the deep fried original recipe chicken filets are actually the buns of the sandwich and in the middle you have swiss cheese, jack cheese, bacon and the Colonel's sauce (I will let you decide that is on your own). They havent released any offical nutritional info but they are trying to say it is around 600 calories. Bullshit! Other agencies are estimating around 1,300. In any case, it can't be very good for you.

8 comments:

Adam said...

Without the "sauce" that looks awesome. I might have to try one since Fresno will probably be a test market.

Lulu said...

Well that sounds about right. I post about delicious apples and bananas and peanut butter and icky fast food, and you go for the greasy chicken thing:) Oh Adam, what am I going to do with you?

edluv said...

i saw that sandwich on another blog, but i haven't seen any ads for it. makes me wonder if it's true. i mean, it sounds completely possible, but seems odd that all sorts of blogs would talk about it before commercials are out. it's not on their website, but apparently it's only selling in nebraska and rhode island according to fox news.

miriam said...

I have an Asian Pear Tree in my backyard. While the fruit in considerably smaller than those in the grocery store, they are just as good. I'll bring you some if you would like.

AND.... have you heard of Hungry Girl? I'm sipping on one of her Margaritas right now. Less than 100 calories... maybe like 99... but I've had 3. We'll leave it at that.

miriam said...

I must add. Yes, I've heard of this sandwich with the "meat" bun. Grody. I'll just keep telling myself that to keep me from going to get one. But FYI, they also use rendered beef fat on their chicken. Nice.

Lulu said...

I dont even want to know what rendered beef fat is miriam! And I would love to try your asian pears-you know what I mean (that was for Mike if he reads this).

And yes I have heard of Hungry Girl! If you are counting calories they give you some great low cal recipes although I am not always impressed with the nutritional aspect of their recipes. However you cannot go wrong with a 100 calorie margarita, sounds great!

m.wise said...

oh, i read it. and you were right to know what i would think :)

Adam said...

That's how I roll Kasey. :-)