Monday, July 13

Weekend Round Up

I had a busy but great weekend. I have a lot of projects to do around the house and I didn't waste much time getting things done.

After my normal Saturday morning workout I had a leaf raking extravaganza since the previous weekend I broke my lawn mower by off roading it over a tree root. I have come to the conclusion that magnolia trees may look pretty but they are the devil. I would like to get rid a good deal of grass around the house and in particular the strip of grass next to the road because it is so uneven and rooty, due to the devil trees. Without use of a lawn mower the grass didn't grow all that much but the leaves the lawn mower usually sucks up littered my lawn. Since every single one of my neighbors has people to do their yard work their yards always looks pristine which makes my yard look shabby by comparison. In the future I plan on making a lot of changes to the landscape for something more drought resistant and plants that are more sculptural. I also trimmed some bushes around the windows that were starting to get a little shapeless and overgrown. It was fun to use the big hedge clippers:)

Sunday I went to my parents to get some succulent clippings, picked up some containers and supplies and had a succulent potting party. This is my favorite:


Although the fuzzy white spines on this plant feel soft to the touch, I quickly found that they are stubborn little effers that like to stick on your skin and not let go. I had to use wax to get them out and I will not make that mistake again!

I potted about 6 pots with succulents, arranging them together so almost every pot has several varities. It will be interesting to see how the combinations grow together. I will eventually plant them on my yard but the big landscape overhaul isn't going to take place until the fall.

Back inside the house I finally got around to the fireplace project. The picture is kinda crappy but basically I have glass voltives hanging down from two curtain rods that have tea light candles inside them:

I like this because they kind of look like they are floating in air and still gives that fireplace glow.

In addition to that I also finished the window in the kitchen and did some more work in the master and unpacked some more boxes. I am thinking I might want to do some artsy painting on one of my master bedroom walls but I need to do some research on that first. It could be cool or a complete disaster.

Anyway, that was what I did on my weekend (aside from going out Friday and UFC Saturday, of course). Good times.

No comments: