Wednesday, July 29

Nutrition Focused

Over the past several years when it came to food I was focused mainly on calories when determining what was healthy. Calorie dense food was bad, calorie light food was good. Fruits and veggies were always good because they were low in calories and I was vaugely aware that there were also some nutritional benefits but as long as it wasn't high in calories, it was ok with me.

Recently though I have started to change my ideas of what I think a healthy diet is. Clean eating is sort of a buzz term in the diet/exercise industry right now but the basic concepts are this:
-Eating a mini-meal every two to three hours (5 to 6 small meals per day total) to keep blood sugar level and prevent hunger
-Combining lean proteins and complex carbs at every meal
-Avoiding all over-processed and refined foods (especially sugar, white rice, and white flour)
-Avoiding saturated and trans fat, instead consuming healthy fats
-Avoiding soda and other sugary juices and drinks
-Avoiding high-calorie, zero nutrient foods (i.e., junk food)
-Eating proper portion sizes
-Drinking at least 8 cups of water every day

Basically, you eat the least processed and freshest food possible and you don't over indulge. Clean eating is not about deprivation, avoiding food groups, counting calories or starvation, but about making healthy food choices and providing the body with the best foods possible.

There are many health benefits to eating clean, including:

-Fat loss
-Weight loss
-Increased energy
-Clearer skin
-Shinier hair
-Better sleep
-Increased mental well-being

I have been experimenting with clean eating the past month and keeping a journal of how I felt both mentally and physically. I have found it is more work to eat clean because you have to go to the grocery store more often and really plan your meals out in advance. I can't just grab something and put it in the microwave, but fresh foods taste so much better it is a small concession to make.

For breakfast I used to eat Jimmy Dean Lite Breakfast Sandwiches and for lunch I would eat Lean Cusines. These are both low in calories but they aren't fresh, nutrient rich foods. Instead I have been eating oatmeal with fruit and a hard boiled egg or protien shake for breakfast. For lunch I have been making salads and sandwiches and snacks consist a lot of yogurt and dried fruit and raw nuts. Raw almond and peanut butter are big go to foods too. I have also cut out diet sodas and have been drinking a lot of water.

The result? Physically I have had less stomach issues like gas and bloating on days that I have eaten clean which is fantastic as stomach issues have plagued me for quite some time. My energy is through the roof when I eat clean too. Yesterday I woke up at 5:45, worked all day, went to the gym for an hour and a half, came home mowed the lawn and worked in the yard for an hour and a half, did laundry, cooked dinner and I never felt lethargic or tired. I have also shown a big improvement mentally on clean eating days and tend to be more positive and upbeat. I feel a lot more depressed on days I don't eat well. Some of that has to do with feeling guilty about not eating well and also on some days I haven't eaten well I am under the influence and that definitely effects me negatively both mentally and physically.

I have been grilling a lot of meat and veggies and eating a lot of fruit so everything tastes really good. I don't crave the bad foods as much anymore either, but I still need to work on being more consistent with eating this way. I am usually good during the week but weekends are more difficult. Eating clean and learning a lot more about processed food that you can buy at the store and at restaraunts has also gone hand in hand. The more I know about all the sugar and salt they pump into foods, the less I have a desire to eat them. Convenience is a powerful decision maker when it comes to eating but if I clearly feel my best on days I eat fresh and healthy foods, is that convenience worth it? I might get to watch an extra half hour of tv a night if I decide to throw in a lean cusine instead of cutting up veggies and grilling meat but I am certainly not getting anything out of that. Having a house has made this a whole hell of a lot easier though. If I didnt have a dishwasher and a BBQ, it would be a lot more difficult, that I know. Since I am fortunate to have access to those things though and I can clearly feel a difference in myself by eating this way, it is something I suspect I will keep up for quite awhile.

This isn't some gimmicky diet either, the principles are simple and basic and do not require you to buy anything. How could you go wrong by eating fresh fruits and veggies, lean meat and whole grains? This is what our bodies are built to eat.

Want some recipes or more info? Check out these links:
Delicious Wisdom
Clean Eating Club
Eat Clean Diet

6 comments:

Madison said...

Glad to hear your clean eating habits are helping your stomach issues! I've felt so much better since I started eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet. Stomach problems only appear when I am bad and cheat.

You're right, it does take more of a time commitment to eat clean. I'm floundering at lunch because I still haven't figured out what I want to eat all the time (so much of what I love has gluten and dairy in it!)

Lulu said...

I am glad you are feeling better but that is tough to have to eliminate dairy and especially gluten. It will probably take you a little while to adjust before you really figure out what to eat but it will be so worth it not to have to struggle with stomach issues. I didn't have nearly as big a problem as you do with your stomach but I realized how much I took for granted being able to go through my day without having stomach issues.
If you find any good recipes let me know!

Monticore said...

Where does alcohol fit into this diet.

Lulu said...

It really doesnt. Moderation (like 1 glass of wine a day) would be acceptable but alcohol is loaded with sugar and has no nutritional value so it isnt a clean food/beverage.

Monticore said...

what if I save up the 1 glass of wine a day for the weekend and what if it was Honey Wine (Mead) rather than sugar wine? Just Kidding.
You should do a weekly post featuring the "clean meal of the week". I love new recipes and I actually have a few clean meals I would love to share.

Lulu said...

I have asked that very question before. It seems like it should work in theory!

I think your clean recipe a week idea is great! I can post them on Fridays so they can be made over the weekend or if I get really snazzy I can make them on the weekends and show pictures to post with the recipes on Monday...hmmm. I would love to sample your clean recipes, send them my way and I will give ya props!