Tuesday, March 10

Interval Training Re-visited

So a couple of weeks ago I posted on the benefits of doing cardio intervals as opposed to the steady burn long cardio workouts. Basically I am just pating myself on the back here (which I can do quite well now that I have been stretching again)but one of my favorite fitness blogs had a post about that very same thing:

Here’s the details of the study: Researchers had three groups of overweight women ages 18-30. One group exercised for 40 minutes at 60 percent of peak oxygen uptake (yeah yeah, it’s all V02, but if that means nothing to you it’s probably good enough to know they were exercising at a steady but not super-super easy state and built up to 40 minute sessions.) The second group did 8 seconds of high intensity work followed by 12 seconds of relative rest for 20 minutes. These two groups worked out on spin bikes for 15 weeks. The third group was the control, a.k.a. the “feel free to just sit on your ass” group. No dietary changes were made for any group


And the results of the study are, you guessed it, the high-intensity group was the only group that showed significant reductions in fat mass, total body mass, belly fat and fasting insulin levels. The very best part though is that this can be accomplished in 20 minutes as opposed to 40 or more. So next time you think you don't have the time to get a good workout in, your excuse is no longer valid. Get your ass in the gym or outside and up your intensity level for a measely 20 minutes. That isn't even the lenght of time it would take to watch an episode of The Soup!

I did an interval workout last night on the stair stepper (which I secretly love now, somethng very retro and also really difficult about that machine) and even though I only stayed on for 30 minutes I was drenched in sweat, more so then when I ride the bike steady for twice as long, and I like to think my ass and quads are a little tighter. There is something about being completely exhausted and dripping with sweat after a workout that is incredibly satisfying. I can think of other times that outcome is also very satisfying but I am on a hiatus from that so I will just focus on interval training for now:)

No comments: