Tuesday, March 10

Free Credit Report.Com Sucks

I have always loathed their commercials but they must be effective because when I wanted to check my credit, that is the first and only source that I could think of to use. They do give you your credit report for free but not very suprisingly charge you 14.95 a month to monitor your credit for you if you haven't cancelled your membership within 9 days. Our internet was down all day at work yesterday so I didn't get around to trying to cancel it until today. After searching fruitlessly for 5 minutes for the place you could cancel your membership online, I gave up and called them. I was then put on hold and oddly the music they had playing was the wedding march. Weird. Anyway I finally get someone on the phone and it is about another 10 minute ordeal of answering questions and then (3) different shpeals on why I shouldn't cancel, how I could get a discounted service instead and only pay 4.95 and the new services they are offering.

I try to never get mad at the people on the phone because I know they are just reading the script they are given and they are just doing their jobs, but my god is it annoying. The fact that you can't even cancel your membership online is BS because it so obviously is done that way in hopes that people will postpone cancelling because it is a hassle and then forget and incur the cost.

In the end I got it cancelled though and my credit is good so alls well that ends well I suppose.

3 comments:

edluv said...

i was talking about this yesterday because we saw a commercial. there have been a lot of articles lately essentially calling them a scam because of the excessive "hidden" charges. i don't know it's a scam, but it definitely is shady.

Lulu said...

Yes, it is shady and the commercials clearly make it sound (through annoyingly cheesy songs)that it is completely free. The only thing that is free is the initial credit report but if you want your credit monitored it will cost ya, and that is not clear at all.

Adam said...

This is why I don't check my credit. That and I don't want to feel guilty when I find out my score is low. :-P