Tuesday, January 27

I think I may have finally done it. After years of wearing (and loving) high heels and pounding the pavement and the treadmill, my poor little left foot may have taken too much and is waving a tiny white flag.

For the past week or so I have had pain between my arch and my big toe at the ball of my foot. At first it was just sort of annoying and felt like a bruise. It would hurt when I was wearing heels, especially high ones, but would be pretty insignificant if I was wearing my running shoes. The same is still true except the pain has gotten worse and it is now swollen. I also notice when I walk I am favoring walking on the outside of my foot because if I dont put any pressure on it, it doesnt hurt at all.

Last night I did a high intensity running circuit where I incorporated side shuffling and running backwards on the treadmill which was definitely a bad idea because it hurt while I was doing it (no pain no gain though, right??) but because I am a bit obsessive and also a masochist I kept going and then walked home. I woke up this morning and it was very sore.

I dont want to go to the doctor because x rays are expensive and also because they will probably tell me to rest it, which I just cant do. I know it sounds dumb but not working out would make me incredibly depressed and miserable. For example I had a bad weekend and I was feeling really sad last night but after I got done at the gym I was happy and content again. For me working out is an instant mood lifter and the most effective anti depressent.

So instead of going to the doc just yet I am going to try to make some adjustments. I am going to wear my running shoes to work for awhile, cut out the walks to and from the gym, no more running (I will do my cardio on the bike)and ice and take ibuprophen. I am also going to look into getting a gel insert for my shoes and if that doesnt work I might have to stop wearing heels when I go out, which would be lead to an identity crisis so I will try to avoid that plus I honestly have no flats, none, and I will be very annoyed if I have to start wearing my effing running shoes to the bar.

I suppose it was inevitable that I would develop some sort of injury at some point but I still want to believe I am invincible. I do not want to stop or slow own my weight training because I am seeing some pretty decent muscle development and I dont want to go backwards. Besides my foot doesnt bother me when I am lifting at all, even if I am doing squats. But if it doesnt start to feel better after a week or so I will go to the doc to get it checked out. I am stubborn but I dont want to worsen the injury and be forced to take more time off.

8 comments:

Adam said...

Hey, maybe it's just a temporary thing. You'll heel up (pun intended).

Madison said...

So sorry to hear about your foot troubles! Do you have a bump on the inner foot, near the big toe? Sometimes if you have this (a bunion) is causes issues and can hurt the top and bottom , not to mention the spot where the bump is, on your foot. Seriously consider getting custom insoles or a good pair of Clark's. I know Clark's is kinda oldy looking, but I have two cute pairs of flats and my feet never hurt in them. As for running shoes, if you hold one shoe in two hand and can bend the toe to the heel, get better shoes because you're getting zero support. Hope that helps!

edluv said...

a few things:
1. i love running backwards on the treadmill. so much fun. especially because i'll usually do a few minutes forward, minute back, few forward, then back and so on. nice little challenge, different muscle work, and not many people do it.
2. what about a short heel (as opposed to a "high" heel)?
3. exercise releases endorphins and is a natural anti-depressant.
4.you will never be allowed to wear running shows to the local. some sort of cool sneaker, maybe. running shoe, no.

Lulu said...

You know Madison I think you may be right about my running shoes. I got a new pair after the marathon and I ordered them online but they were the brand I always wear (asics) but a different model (it was cheaper). I remember thinking they were not as supportive as my previous pair.
I went to Target at lunch and got arch support inserts and when I put them in I can walk normally without much pain, just a little soreness. I think this may be the trick. That and getting new running shoes!

Lulu said...

Ed, I love running backwards too for the same reasons, it really breaks the run up too and makes it go by faster.

Short heels I do own but they are summer shoes. Now that I have the inserts though I think I may be ok because I am wearing a high heel at work and feel a lot better now.

I know about the endorphins and I wish more people could experience the how drastically moods can change by working out. I dont think it is something that happens as drastically when you start out though, it gets more effective the more you work out.

Thank you for not allowing me to go to the local in running shoes. I wouldnt feel like myself.

Lulu said...

Nope I was wrong. The inserts help but it still hurts and seems to be worse in the morning. I had to wear running shoes to work today. I hate wearing running shoes with regular clothes, it just looks weird.
So I guess I will actually cut out the walks to and from the gym and not just say I will. I really love walking though. I spend all day cooped up in an office and fresh air is really nice, plus I like to walk the neighborhood. Bah.

edluv said...

i think i mentioned my foot issue the other day. if it keeps up, i'm headed to the doctor. it's strange, if i'm active, it's a minor pain. but, at other points it kills to even put that foot down.

i'm taking today off from the gym (podcasting @ that time) and hope that maybe it feels a little better by thursday.

Lulu said...

Ed what I am experiencing is very similar. When I am at the gym it isnt a problem but I was at Target yesterday and as soon as I stop, I realized I was instinctively lifting that foot up and standing on my other leg. So weird. Is it worse in the morning when you wake up and how does it feel when you arent wearing shoes at all?