Monday, December 8

Pizza Makeover

One of my favorite foods to eat is pizza. It is also one of the easiest foods to make which is good for me because cooking isnt something I am too motivated to do. Gourmet style pizzas are my favorite so like California Pizza Kitchen and will attempt to re-create their recipes at home, with a healthier twist. Last night I decided to do a version of a mexican pizza that is a combo of CPK southwestern pizza and that mexican pizza Me & Eds has and it turned out really good! So here is my recipe for anyone who wants to make a healtheir mexican pizza (oh yeah and since there is only one of me, I dont measure things but eyeball everything):

Ingredients
-ground turkey
-taco seasoning packet
-individual pizza shell such as Boboli's
-black beans
- 1 can rotel (or salsa)
-reduced fat mexican cheese
-pre-shredded iceburg lettuce
-fat free plain yogurt (or reduced fat sour cream)
-cilantro
-1 small avacado
-tortilla chips (mostly to snack on while you are making the pizza)

Directions
-pre-heat oven to whatever the pizza crust says, usually about 450
-brown turkey w/ taco seasoning in small pan (if you use 1/2 the package it is more than enough for 2 people or for 1 with leftovers the next day)
-when the turkey is almost browned, add 1 can of Rotel or salsa. Heat and stir and then set to the side to cool for about 5 minutes
-Put a small layer of black beans on the botom of pizza shell, smash with a fork or spoon so they are mashed together in a rough paste
-add a layer of the ground turkey
-top with a thin layer of cheese
-put in oven for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is cooked yada, yada you know when pizza is ready
-take out of oven add lettuce to top of pizza, sprinkle on some crushed tortilla chips, dollop of yogurt or sour cream (Note: plain yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream since sour cream doesnt have much of a taste anyway), cilantro and diced avacado and eat.

I was going to take a picture because it looked really pretty too but I wanted to eat it more. There is a lower calorie version of everything and you seriously dont have to loose any taste. In fact I think this tastes better because it isnt so heavy on your stomach and ground turkey has a lot of flavor. You can add and subtract ingredients based on taste really easily too.

I know how crappy it is to cook for 1 person, it is really hard to get motivated to do all the work and the clean up for one meal and since I dont have a dishwasher I hate making meals that have a lot of dishes. This recipe had very few dishes and I have leftovers to have the same thing tonight with no dishes except my plate. Dish score, healthy score & flavor score.

No comments: