Wednesday, December 17

People Really Piss Me Off Sometimes

Last week at one of our jobs a piece of machinery was parked overnight in one of the empty parking stalls. It was not a huge piece of equipment, about 5 feet in length and 5 feet high and had cones around it, but it fit within the confines of the stall. The next morning some stupid lady ran right into it. She didnt back into it, she literally ran into with the front of her new car and moved it back 18 inches. Her husband brought her car into the shop to get an estimate and the damage to her car was around $800, and for some reason he expects us to pay it.

My dad of course thinks that is a bit absurd so he involved the insurance company. The guy calls the office and tries to get my dad to just pay without going through the insurance company, which he declines. The guy then sends an email to another company that is one the job that we are working on (we were actually a sub to a General in this case) about the incident. The email gets forwarded to us and in it this guy whose wife ran into our machinery calls my dad a "chicken shit motherfucker" for going through the insurance company.

People like that piss me off beyond belief. First of all if I would have done that I would have been really embarassed that I ran into a parked piece of equipment and wouldnt even think of trying to get money from someone else for it. I ran into it, its my fault it is as simple as that. Personal responsibility however is a concept that apparently is lost on these people. Getting the quick pay off is obviously their goal but how can you not just feel like a jerk for doing that? This needs to go through our insurance because it was an accident on the job and not going through the proper channels can turn into a big problem. And really, chicken shit mother fucker? My dad is always more fair than he even should be in my opinion, he is not out to screw anyone over ever and calling someone a chicken shit motherfucker makes him sound like a ignorant hillbilly, which he probably is.

My dad of course remains calm and finds the humor in it, but he better hope he doesnt cross my path (or my moms path) anytime soon. What an asshole.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Right, and an attitude like that makes it even more likely that people will be willing to work with you. Dumbass.

I had an accident where the other driver never produced proof of insurance, but made wild accusations about how I owed him all kinds of money.

I called my insurance and told them my side and that they hadn't given me insurance info and they said they'd take care of it. I never, ever heard anything back from my insurance. But the guy's dad called me (I don't remember giving him my phone number but he had my driver's license info so he must have looked me up) and wanted to meet up privately. I was like, "No way buddy, here's my insurance's number." He. Was. Pissed.

I don't get it. I'm not paying a monthly fee because I want to advocate for myself when there are experts that I essentially keep on retainer for just such an occasion.

Lulu said...

Yeah no kidding. Chances are if they dont want it to go through insurance there is a reason and it shouldnt be your problem. Wow I cant believe he tried to get you to meet him some place, thats just scary.

edluv said...

well, it's pretty obvious that they don't want to go through the insurance as it's their fault. they're hoping that you don't want to go through insurance and jack up your rates.

but i say screw em. the insurance company should stonewall them, and they'll end up paying out of pocket if they want their p.o.s. fixed.