Wednesday, November 5

Politics

I am going to make this short and sweet as politics are not my forte. For two years I have been listening to the rhetoric of this Presedential campaign and I grew very tired of it. I grew tired of the nastiness, the twisting of facts and the heated discussions that arose. Frankly rhetoric only means so much to me because you can promise me the world but until its in my hand it doesn't much matter.

I did my job as an American citizen though and researched the platforms of each candidate, kept my ears open and made my decision. What I never fully considered though was just how historic Obama being elected would be.

I wasn't going to watch the coverage last night because 1) I dont have a working remote so I couldnt flip back and forth to see who the winner is and 2) I was again tired of hearing about it but at about 8:30 I started watching a live stream of the coverage online and quickly saw that Obama had won, which really wasnt a suprise. But as I kept watching it finally registered what this means. Looking at the faces of the people waiting for Obama to speak in Chicago, the crowds in NY, the young people, blacks, whites, hispanics etc all together and celebrating, you could see on their faces that this was not just another presidential election. This is a fundamental change in how people see politics in America. It is a changing of the guard from politics as usual to one that more fully represents this country and I was overcome with emotion that I didnt expect. It isnt just that he is the first black president and he has made his race believe that anything is possible, he has made everyone believe that anything is possible and is bringing

The hard work still lies ahead however and I am eager to see what Obama can do for this country in action and not just in rhetoric. But for now I just want to take it all in and fully understand what this means to the country and to me.

And yes, I did feel bad for McCain, but he gave a great concession speech and I think he knew it was coming. He was up against something bigger than just another candidate.

2 comments:

Adam said...

You should've come over. We had a good time.

Lulu said...

I am trying to lay low this week and get a lot of sleep and I thought if I joined up I would drink and yada yada, basically I would not have good enough self control and do unhealthy things to myself.