Tuesday, November 11

My Bowels Are Sooo Irritable

I went to my follow up appointment with my doctor yesterday and was told that after all the tests, I most likely have irritable bowel syndrome. It is a common condition, particularly with females my age (for reasons unknown) and also with runners. Since the onset of my stomach problems coincided with the start of my training, it might have been the catalyst.

There is no test to confirm IBS or any real treatment though, you just have to find what works for you. Increasing my fiber intake by taking fiber supplements has helped and not eating as many wheat products has also helped so I will keep doing that. Keeping tums, pepto bismol, gas-x etc. on hand is also a good idea to treat the symptoms.

I have to say I am relieved to hear it. I think your mind naturally thinks about the worst case scenarios so when you hear the disgnosis it is never as bad as you think. I could also be a bit of a hypochondriac thanks to WebMD. I will be interested to see if running less makes any difference too.

So if I am ever crabby just blame it on my bowels, they are irritable.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Glad to hear you don't have cancer like WebMD always makes me think.

edluv said...

hey, get over your ibs and post something new already. no work gripes?