Wednesday, October 8

Tales From The Gym

From time to time I will share an experience I had at the gym that is bizzare, gross, weird or just plain noteworthy. Yesterday I had such an experience that I feel I need to share. This one can be labeled both gross and weird.

There is an older couple that I see every once in awhile at the gym that I always notice and not for good reasons. They came in yesterday and since the tv wasnt on and I was on the treadmill for 45 minutes and there were no good looking guys to look at, I was able to see a great deal of their workout. Let me first describe the pair. The man is about 65 with the hairest arms I have ever seen. The hair isnt dark but grey and goes from his fingers to his shoulders. Who knows where else it might go but he was wearing a tank top so thats all I could see. He has a very Jimmy Buffet type appearance with longer grey hair that he kept under a hat. The woman is also about 65 and probably doesnt even reach 5 feet tall. She looks hispanic and has short dyed blonde (more like yellow) hair. She was wearing a navy skirt and matching sports bra - no shirt. Both of them practically run wherever they go too. It is like they are on crack and cant sit still because it is a speed walk race to the next machine or exercise. If you have ever seen the Ewok Adventure movie (or whatever ewok movie that was that did not have Drew Berrymore in it), they little white hairy guy Teek that moves really fast, reminds me of them.

Now that you have a visual, let me describe how they exercise. The exercises themselves arent done badly but they do everything simultaneously. So when they were doing bicep curls, they are facing each other and lifting the weights at the exact same time with the same arm so it is a mirror image. They just stare at each other whle they are doing it too, I swear it is some kind of weird fore play for them. Then they went over to a machine and while the man used the machine, the woman stood directly in front of him, literally a foot away and did side bends or toe touches the entire time he lifted and then they switched and he did the same thing. I wish you could see their experssions though, they are so very serious the entire time. Everything they do is as fast as possible too, walking to the next exercise, during the exercise, setting up for the exercise, you just want to tell them to calm down and chill out.

The worst part though was when they started doing ab exercises. Now I will also wear a skirt on occasion at the gym. All 3 of my skirts have built in biker shorts that are the same material and color as my skirt and I have never seen any other athletic skirt that is any different. When she started doing leg raises though (completely in synch with the man dont forget), her skirt came up and it looked like she was wearing tightie whities underneath. Perhaps it was a tennis skirt and they were bundies underneath, I wasnt close enough to tell, but the skirt might as not have even been there. So I and everyone else in the weight room had to see this 65 year old lady at the gym basically in her underwear.

What are people thinking??

2 comments:

Adam said...

What? You don't like sweaty old people flashing crotches at you? I'm shocked!

Lulu said...

Call me old fashion, but no I do not.