Thursday, August 7

Project Runway: The Olympic Episode

On this weeks episode the designers were challenged to create a look for athletes for the opening ceremony of the olympic games - women only though. Oddly enough the guest judge was olympic gold medalist Apollo Ohno - not a woman. It would have made more sense for the guest judge to be a female athlete but I guess they were all busy. He did a decent job, I just wish I didnt have to look at the flavor savor.

Anyway the designers looked a little lost when given the challenge. I don't think very many of them have ever seen the opening ceremony and designing sportswear isn't their strong suits, except for Joe who is the self appointed expert in this area. Joe ended up making a skort too, ick.

They were able to go to a museum or something to that effect that had pictures and olympic memorobilia for them to draw inspiration from as well as to attempt to clue them in on what athletes generally wear to this event. It was around this time that Stella made the earth shattering connection that if you win and get immunity then you can fuck up and they cant fire you. I think this may be the first time she realized this is how it worked. Good for her, there is less heroin use now that she is on the show.

Speaking of addictions, Blayne continues to waste away from being unable to tan. I am waiting for him to have his breakdown from severe tanning withdrawl symptoms but it hasnt happened yet.

Once they started the actual work on their garmets, Bravo attempted to present some bitchiness and drama that this season has thus far sorely lacked, but it came off as forced. Two designers laughed too much (how dare they, so rude!) and one designer was upset when someone used his sewing machine. Yawn. These designers are entirely too passive. I think Stella may have it in her to freak out and go off but it hasn't happened yet, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Fast forward to the runway and just as I thought, there was some definite struggles with the designs. My complaint was that these designers are used to creating clothes for stick thin models and they have a hard time conceptualizing looks on athletic women with muscle. And in all fairness, it would be really difficult to design something that would fit both the backs of women swimmers and small gymnasts or female weight lifters -- they are all very diverse in their shapes and there cant be a universal fit.

Some did better than others though. Basing my opinion on asthetic appeal and whether or not it was appropriate for the event, my two favorites were Leanne and Terri's:

A bit flight attendant but I thought it looked crisp and patriotic and I could see athletes wearing this.

Again, crisp and patriotic and I think that most women could wear this and look good.
The winner was Korto with this ensemble:

I thought it was a mediocre outfit myself. I didnt like the boxiness of the jacket and anyone with an ass or thighs is going to look huge in those high waisted pants. I also dont like how white it is, I wish there were more color. My opinion matters not though and Korto has immunity next week so she can fuck up and not be fired!

The weaker designs included a Little Bo Peep ensemble:

I was suprised by the reaction to this one from the judges. Although they recognized it was inappropriate for the occasion, they apparantly liked the whimsy. I find it a bit ridiculous and the tights underneath? C'mon Lindsey Lohan doesnt even wear those anymore.
But the judges really seemed to hate Daniels:

I didn't think it was so horrible myself but they berated him for making a purple dress. I can see a bit of a purple shade in the color but honestly next to the purple shirt he was wearing, there was clearly a difference between the two colors. Perhaps the lighting in the studio made it look that way to the judges but Michael Kors had it right when he said the color was the least of his problems. That dress just didnt make any sense for the opening ceremony of the olympics. He had that wounded puppy look down pretty well by the end of this episode.

And this weeks loser was boring girl #1, Jennifer:

I agree with this decision, she was clearly clueless about what this challenge was about. I dont think the United States wants a bunch of athletes in cute sweaters and little feminie skirts to represent them, it speaks nothing of athleticism and does not come off as strong. Ultimately she lost because she couldnt get past designing outside of what she likes herself (look out Stella, you might be next!).

Next week, Brooke Shields is the guest host. Will Blayne's body go into shock from lack of Vitamin D? Will Stella flip out and stangle someone with a piece of leatha? We will just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Monticore said...

I so agree with you on Bravo's sad attempt to make-up drama on the show. It was truely pathetic. I can't understand where all the crazy designers have gone?

In regards to the outfits Terri and Leanne's were my favorite too. So cute and so sporty. I also really liked Blanes it was very highend adidas.

It was so time for that girl with those sad little dresses to go home. I kept getting her confussed with Leanne who actually does good work. Daniel better watch out because his dresses have all sucked. But so many people have been sucking it's hard to choose.

Also what was up with Heidi wearing that chain-mail dress last night?

Lulu said...

I agree, I also liked Blaynes, suprisignly. I never think I am going to like his designs but they always seem to come out good. Maybe he will be the one to step it up, granted he can survive without tanning long enough.