Tuesday, July 22

Perhaps I am a little paranoid but I have had a couple of instances of people coming to my door recently that is beginning to make me uncomfortable.

First, there was a guy two weeks ago who stopped me when I was parking and asked if he could wash the windows of my truck to make a few bucks. Well my windshield was a disaster and he seemed harmless so I said ok, paid him a few bucks and he was on his way.

Now I dont open the door to anyone unless I am expecting them or they they say something so I know who they are, so when there was a knock on my door last week I didnt get it but I looked out my blinds and could see it was the same man. Ok so he obviously watched me go into my apartment but I still didnt feel terribly uncomfortable, he probably just wanted a few more bucks and thought I could help him out. He has knocked on my door another time since then as well.

Today I had a fever and stayed home but went out to get some medicine and as I was walking up to my apartment noticed a group of about 4-5 punk looking kids walking up the sidewalk. I remember one of them in particular because he was wearing these awful big red pants with zippers everywhere and a hat that had ears on it.

Anyway a few hours later someone knocks on my door. Again I dont answer but when I look out I can see its the kid with the red pants. His friends were also standing in the yard below. I cant think of a single reason he would knock on my door because he didnt knock on anyone else's and he knocked 3 times and stayed out there for a longer period of time than I would if no one answered the door.

At about 7 there was another knock, same kid without his friends this time. Again he knocked loudly three ties and stood out there for awhile and then walked down the stairs, looking back up the entire time. 45 minutes later he is back again, same thing.

This is beginning to make me very uncomfortable and part of me wants to ask what he wants but I would rather just ignore him and have him go away. I have never felt uncomfortable in my apartment until now and it just makes me uneasy because I dont have the best security system here.

Ahh the joys of living alone.

9 comments:

Monticore said...

YIKES! That would creep me out too. I'm just like you. I never answer the door unless I'm excepting someone. I'll keep an eye out for the punk with red pants. Let me know if he comes by again. Just send me a text and I will go flash my high beams on him.

It's summer time again so the street punks are out in full force.

Lulu said...

Thanks Monti, if you see red pants him asks whats he wants.

edluv said...

money. these same dudes bothered adam the other day. they want money for beer, at least that's what they said to adam.

the window washing guy might have been this guy marvin that would come by tower mosaic occasionally. basically, someone paid him once to wash the windows and so he would come back and ask again. sometimes he would do stuff like wash the windows or if someone tagged he would clean it off before asking. became quite annoying.

i would guess there are other parts of town that this happens, although not everywhere. i'm pretty sure it's just people trying to squeeze money out of someone.

or, heather says it could be like that urban legend where someone is trying to warn you that there's a crazy person in the back of your truck and they're flashing the high beams.

edluv said...

or, perhaps they wanted to know if you would buy them beer.

Madison said...

Don't open the door, don't give the guy money to wash your window, etc. If need be, it's smarter to call the cops and let them know kids are wandering around the complex knocking on doors. Eventually, they will leave you alone.

Lulu said...

Yeah the window washer guy doesnt make me uncomfortable, I just dont need him washing my window every week.

And as far as the kids go, walking up to someone on the street and asking them for beer/money is one thing, but going to their house 3 times in one day and no one else in the same complex is creepy to me because it means they watched me walk up to know where I live and singled me out for whatever reason. Thats what I dont like.

Adam said...

It's a sort of gang that's coalesced in the neighborhood. They wander around that area between Van Ness and Wishon and will hit you up for money, cigarettes, soda, beer, shit if you were carrying a small child they'd probably ask for it.

The first couple times they caught me walking it was no big deal but it's getting old fast.

edluv said...

totally true. i'm not dismissing your wariness at all. i'm sure these knuckleheads probably saw you get out of your truck and walk up to your apartment. they frequently hang out on hedges between wishon & maroa, or just on maroa @ that corner. i'm sure leah loves it how they spend tons of time camped out right next to her apartment.


so, they saw you, figured you were young, and might "help" them in some way.

i agree, don't answer the door. if they keep coming back, call the cops and let them know that there are several people behaving aggressively and harassing people near your location. shoot, give them the address across the street.

Monticore said...

I know, I feel like a total a-hole agreeing with everyone but there is traveling shanty town or hooverville if you like roaming in our neighborhood. Actually calling them a shanty town gives them to much cred. I might be sympathetic to a shanty town. The only thing I'm gonna give these kids is a one-way ticket to Haight-Ashburry so they can mess up SF with the rest of the kids.