Friday, March 14

Happy Birthday Sissy Poo!



Tomorrow is my sister Kristen's 30th birthday so I wanted to post a little something about her for those of you haven't been lucky enough not to know her:

When I was a baby, Kristen used to wake up me up in my crib in the morning. She would crawl in (both of us wearing matching pink footsie pajamas) and start my morning off with a hug. I don't have a clear memory of this but I have seen pictures of it, both of us smiling sleepily in my crib, and it is what I have been told. Kristen was my very first friend and remains my best friend to this day.

One of our favorite things to do when we were kids was put on a stuffed animal parade. We would line up all of our stuffed animals down the hall and strut around goofily as we imagined our stuffed animals prancing behind us. I always looked up to my sister but at the same time I never felt that she thought she was better than me or that I was an annoying little sister, I always felt accepted by her.

Growing up we had a lot of fun together and as we became teenagers we had our moments of fighting which usually involved me "borrowing" an article of clothing (I used to think her Stussy shirt and poncho were sooo fucking cool) without telling you, but overall we got along pretty well for sisters. I remember riding to school with her in the morning and we would listen to "Mother" by Danzig and till this day everytime I hear that song I think of her. There was a lot of the Dumb and Dumber and Dangerous Minds Soundtrack on those drives as well.

When she went away to college was when we probably drifted apart the furtherst. I did however manage to ruin her 21st birthday (notoriously) as I took about 10 shots of scnhapps in about an hour and then spent the rest of the night throwing up in every corner of her apartment (while apologizing profously at least). Instead of getting mad at me though, she took care of me and didnt even yell at me the next day when I was extremely hungover.

Living with her in Austin was also a great time and we got to get even closer. I was fortunate to be able to see her relationship begin and grow with her husband Chris and I got to approve of him before anyone else even met him. Seeing how head over heels in love she was during that time made me incredibly happy because if anyone deserved to find the love of their life, it was her. She had been taken for granted by stupid idiotic guys for long enough!

Kristen has always been a strong, opinionated person but she also has a huge heart. She is the type of friend and sister that would do anything for you if you needed it. I cant even begin to tell you how many times I have called her to bitch about my parents or about work or that fucktard who cut me off. Whatever it is, she is always there to listen to me. She doesn't just hold your hand though, she is also the first person to tell you like it is and kick you in your butt if you are spending too much time feeling sorry for yourself. Sometimes we clash but overall I always respect her honest opinions.

Now that she is turning 30 and the chaotic 20s are behind her I look forward to seeing how her life grows and changes. I look forward to seeing Kristen as a mother and maybe someday as an aunt because she will be great at both. I love her very much and if anyone is reading this I hope they get a better understanding of how fantastic my big sister is and maybe someday if you are lucky you will get to meet her:)

2 comments:

Adam said...

Is this where I break out the boo hiss? Kidding.

Nice tribute, very sweet.

Lulu said...

I know, it is slightly cheesy but sometimes I just have to show that side of me!
In any case my sister has really been there for me these past few weeks so a tribute just felt appropriate. Besides she is an old lady, who knows how much time she has left and I wanted to make sure she knew:)