Friday, July 13

Work Update

So I have posted many a time about my frustrations at work (if I could remember to label my posts more than 5% of the time you could all read all about it). This week things have taken a change for the better in the form of increased responsibility and a slight (cost of living) raise - and no that is not cleverly disguised nepotism, everyone got a raise. I get very bored doing the same things at work everyday so when I am given projects (like remodeling the new office)I am much happier. Work has been a little slow for me lately so any extra project is greatly appreciated. The company picnic is next weekend and I am in charge of planning it. I actually think I will probably have more fun planning it than I will attending it. I just have nothing in common (besides a bloodline) with anyone at work. I am by far the youngest - the closest person to my age is 30 and he has 5 kids. I am also horrible at small talk, I can never think of a thing to say. Maybe I should incorporate some drinking games or beerpong, that might help.
Also I attended a OSHA seminar yesterday on heat illness prevention so now I need to create a training program (hey what do you know I am using my degree) and train my supers on what the requirements are. Most of it is common sense but as with all things that involve the government some of it is also completely asinine. Take for example the shade rule. You have to provide shade for your employees, but they are strict as to what constitutes shade. It has to be provided by something that is directly overhead so the shade created from the side of a building or a big truck does not count. The minimum fine for even a minor infraction is $18,000 and can go up to $85,000. Yikes. In addition to heat illness prevention the boss man has given all OSHA compliance to me. Yup, I am the safety officer of Mark Wilson Construction. I asked if I could get a badge but was turned down. I think I might make my own. All kidding aside this is an important responsibility as keeping the IIPP updated and training the employees is often a full time position in a lot of organizations. I have to o through 80 hours of training myself. Sure it is somewhat tedious but my masters is in training and development so it is something I enjoy doing.
Finally I am also in charge of getting our website up and running after a 4 year hiatus. Yes it is true we don't have a functional website. After a lot of arguing with my dad to convince him that despite the fact that I have a masters it doesn't mean I know how to build a website, I am going to a company out of Visalia specializes in just that. A lot less work for me but I am writing all of the content and getting pictures taken from all of our old jobsites. I will send you all a link when it is up and running again.
I think thats it on the work front. Thinking of drivin to Ikea tomorrow and getting some stuff for the apartment.I haven't taken a road trip in awhile and it might be nice to go for a drive and get new stuff.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Which IKEA?

Lulu said...

Good question, I am thinking the opne up north because I am tired of the drive down south.

Adam said...

Well, if you make it to the one in Emeryville, give us a call, that's only 10 minutes from E's place.

Also, did you still want me to build you a desk? If it's as simple as you say you want it, I could have it done in a couple of weeks. We can work out cost and measurements and stuff next week, or if you do make it up to the bay, we could hammer it out over lunch or something.

edluv said...

oooh. ikea. if you don't go tomorrow, there has been some discussion of going to the bay area next weekend.

good additions to the blog, good additions to your life.